- Couples must meet with one of our counsellors prior to proceeding with a divorce.
- Individuals cannot request or proceed with a divorce on behalf of other parties. All clients must represent themselves throughout the divorce procedure. They may be accompanied if they wish.
- Divorces for couples who were married abroad still require a divorce from the court prior to proceeding with the Islamic Divorce Decree.
- If the individual or couple wish to proceed with a divorce, they will need to:
- Complete the divorce request form
- Provide a copy of the legal divorce
- Provide a Photo I.D.
- If a divorce/khula is granted the client will be presented with a certificate accordingly within a period of two weeks. There is a fee for the certificate and the whole proceeding of $150 which may be paid by check or cash and may be paid on the day the divorce is granted.
- A Wakeel / guardian for the bride, regardless of bride’s age or prior marital status must be present, at and during the marriage ceremony.
- Although MIC does not explicitly charge a fee for officiating Nikah ceremonies, we encourage participants to donate to the Center so that we can provide similar services to the community at large.